The film has been released in three different regions, Region 2 in French, Region 1 and Region 4.
The Region 2 release is not 16x9 enhanced for widescreen televisions and contains no extras.
The Region 1 Criterion release is from the U.S. It contains the same transfer as the Region 4, although extras are more extensive. It contains the following:
* Three new interviews about director Pier Paolo Pasolini, featuring Bernardo Bertolucci, an assistant director to Pasolini on Accattone; Tonino Delli Colli, cinematographer on eleven of Pasolini’s fourteen films; and Enzo Siciliano, author of Pasolini: A Biography.
* Pier Paolo Pasolini (1995), a 58-minute documentary by filmmaker Ivo Barnaḅ Micheli covering the career of the controversial artist.
* La ricotta (1963), a 35-minute film by Pasolini starring Orson Welles as a director who sets out to make a film about the Passion of Jesus.
* Original theatrical trailer.
* Poster gallery.
* A 32-page booklet featuring excerpted interviews with Pasolini on Mamma Roma and La ricotta, and essays by novelist and culture critic Gary Indiana and Pasolini biographer Enzo Siciliano.
The Region 4 release contains an expert audio commentary by Andrea Rizzi.
If you prefer the extras of the Criterion release, you would settle for that, otherwise, I am content with the same transfer for the Region 4 release with the bonus of the audio commentary that is not present on the Region 1 Criterion release.